Thursday, September 18, 2014

My No Carb / Low Carb

Wow! You guys and your concern for my health after yesterday's post about going low carb amaze me!! I know there seemed to be some confusion at first when I mentioned both no and low carb that I wasn't eating any so I thought I would share what's working for me now and has worked for me in the past.

I saw my Dr. about this last week. I go in for testing next Monday and then if he sees something he doesn't like or wants to see me again I'll see him in the next few weeks.

I've done this before and been very successful at it. With the Holidays coming up and really letting myself go I decided I needed to do a drastic change in the way I was eating and exercising - eating all I want and exercising little to none.

When I say drastic I mean I have to have very set rules which is where the term low carb comes into play. I can't have sweets at all unless they're my sacred non-fat, no whip peppermint mocha from Starbucks once a week in the morning. I can't have pizza with the peeps at work. When I go out with friends I have to choose protein and veggies only, or a salad.

These stickler rules are what works for me. Counting calories?! Eh! Weight Watchers - tried that for a year. Eh!

My No Carb / Low Carb Weight Loss Strategy


This was first developed by a local Dr. in the area and I've had heavier friends go through the program with that specific doc. I took the handouts they received and altered them to fit me. I can't give up bananas and tomatoes or my Starbucks! Plus I don't have to pay the big bucks.

1st System Shock - For the 1st four days you don't eat any carbs. Protein only. No vegetables, not even iceberg lettuce which is like zero calorie food. You also eat about 3-4 ozs 3-4 times a day depending on your current weight. My dad does it with me and he's bigger so he gets to eat more.

With this step, I usually lose about 5-7 pounds. This time it was 7 because it was a HUGE shock to my system and change what I was putting in my body.

2nd Continuing the Loss - This is where you add in mostly no carb vegetables and I add in 1/2 of the high carb fruits or veggies. This time it's tomatoes. I can have all the lettuce and pickles I want. Still sticking with the same rule of thumb for protein. Maintaining smaller portions of low carb fruits and vegetables. Every other morning I'll have a high fiber carb item. The other morning it's usually fresh fruit and a piece of cheese.

During the 1st and 2nd week you don't exercise, so I'm really looking forward to next week when I get to add in exercise to see where my results are.

3rd Maintenance - The last time I tried this successfully, I've tried and not been able to make it those 1st four days. Anyway, the last time over THREE years ago that this worked out for me, I did it for 2 months and lost 20'ish lbs. This is what maintenance is for most weight loss programs.

Supplements - I take the following supplements to fill in some voids my body might be missing from the low carbs, and to help with metabolism. I've read some people get addicted to the pills...hasn't ever happened to me. The size of some of these pills makes me not want to take them even while I'm on the plan.
B12
Calcium Pyruvate
Chromium Picolinate
Multi-Vitamin

I'm doing this strictly for the month of September until I do my DietBet weigh in on October 6th. Then after I see where I am I'll re-evaluate what's still working and what I might want to change.

Thanks so much for being a great sounding board.

Do you find being strict and specific works for you too?

4 comments:

  1. thanks for explaining girl, i was worried about you :D
    i couldn't give up bananas and tomatoes either! good luck girly, hope you get the results you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta do what works for ya! I'm the same way, when I find something that gets results, it's great to know I can always go back to it when I've gotten off track. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did low carb for 2 years and never had a problem with it, while training for triathlons. People think that means you never eat carbs again. Normally once at your goal you increase your carbs till you find your tolerance/maintenance level is at. Glad you found what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'd ever be able to stick with anything strict. I try to eat healthy 90% of the time and the other 10% of the time I eat whatever I want. But if I go over that I don't beat myself up either. I'm the type of person who just rebel if I'm too restrictive! haha

    ReplyDelete

If you want to just shoot me an email, contact me hello@mylittlehea.com!